Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why I Decided To Blog

OK.  So, to all of you who were holding your breath, awaiting my fabulous debut - here it is.  TAAA- DAAAH!!!!!

So, hello--- is anyone out there?  Why has it all gone dark?  What is that cackling sound in the far distance? 

Just Kidding, as the younger ones might say.

So my blog....Why am I finally doing this, years after savvy people have had blogs going?  Well , I suppose it's because I need to say things, get them out, get them on paper (or in the atmosphere) because it is an outlet and one that most of us don't have.  I have lost touch with many dear friends over the years, my fault, and theirs.  But the fact is, they are no longer in my life and I regret it more and more as I get older.  Why are we so frivolous when it comes to meaningful friendships when we are young.  We think we will have them in our lives for ever, and then we don't and we shrug and move on. 

I look back on my life and think,' if only I knew then what I know now.'  I would treasure my friendships more.  Back then, if I lost a friend for whatever reason, I would not mourn unduly.  There was too much to do, children to raise, new friends to make.   There were always new friends on the horizon.  The life of a busy mum always brought new people into it, and new 'soul mates' female kind.  Then there follows sweet years of togetherness and best friendsidness (made up that word), and then we all move on, emotionally and literally.

It makes me sad because, as I am now an Old Fart, it becomes harder to meet people who are compatible with me, both in outlook, interests and abilities to move from one chair to another without the aid of a walker!  And YES, I am an Old Fart and I natter and rage at the state of the world and the 'youngun's in partiklar.'  But that doesn't mean I am brain-dead, or insensitive to rude behavior directed at me, intentionally or not.

So I rage on about invisibility and being put on the back burner as far as attractiveness goes,  after the age of 39.  Anyone want to join me.  Perhaps we shall become friends, and then you will learn why I have so few!  You may run screaming into the ether, but give it a try.  Go on, I dare you.  Put away the wrinkle cream and blog, blog, blog.

Or blog off, as we say in England - only change the blog to sod.

Croakingly yours,

Old Crow

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! I love that I'm going to learn more about you through your writing. What you have to say is so important...I'm so happy you're sharing your thoughts (and rage?) with the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post! I have been contemplating aging and friendship a lot lately, having two sets of grandparents in their seventies. One thing I do know is their minds are just as sharp as they were when wrinkles weren't around. We connect across the generations as only soul-mates can, and I can't help but wonder what will fill the void when they are gone. By then the babies will have arrived and life will have gotten very busy. Looking forward to those new friends on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete